As I lie awake on my bed tonight
My thoughts they wander to a familiar land
Tall coconut trees, green is all I see
I can hear her calling me
A distant distinct voice
Sweet as honey…she calls me once again
I Look around I don’t see her
Hassled I look for her once again
There she is, on her knees with her arms outstretched
Calling me waiting for me to rush to her and feel her warmth
A tear trickles down my face now
I twist and turn on my bed
Trying to sleep I drift away once again
Now to the kitchen balcony
I see me playing all by myself
And there she is smiling at me
I can see she’s happy
There is no pain in her eyes
All she knows is that her daughter means the world to her…
I wake up to myself I know I can’t sleep tonight
Her presence is all over that room
My mother… My everything
I rush to the other room and smile as I watch her sleeping…
My baby… My daughter
I now know why my mother smiled every time she watched me play
She missed her innocence just as much as I miss my innocence now.
I walk past my Kitchen garden
Thoughts still lingering in my head
Cold breeze brushing me
The smell of curry leaves in the air
I know she’s somewhere near
Maybe In the scent of the curry leaves
I know she is watching me now
And smiling just the way she did
Many years ago in the land of the Curry Leaves
My thoughts they wander to a familiar land
Tall coconut trees, green is all I see
I can hear her calling me
A distant distinct voice
Sweet as honey…she calls me once again
I Look around I don’t see her
Hassled I look for her once again
There she is, on her knees with her arms outstretched
Calling me waiting for me to rush to her and feel her warmth
A tear trickles down my face now
I twist and turn on my bed
Trying to sleep I drift away once again
Now to the kitchen balcony I see me playing all by myself
And there she is smiling at me
I can see she’s happy
There is no pain in her eyes
All she knows is that her daughter means the world to her…
I wake up to myself I know I can’t sleep tonight
Her presence is all over that room
My mother… My everything
I rush to the other room and smile as I watch her sleeping…
My baby… My daughter
I now know why my mother smiled every time she watched me play
She missed her innocence just as much as I miss my innocence now.
I walk past my Kitchen garden
Thoughts still lingering in my head
Cold breeze brushing me
The smell of curry leaves in the air
I know she’s somewhere near
Maybe In the scent of the curry leaves
I know she is watching me now
And smiling just the way she did
Many years ago in the land of the Curry Leaves
...........................HMMMMMM..................... A NICE ONE
ReplyDeleteI LIKED THE TITLE AND HOW THROUGHOUT THE POEM AN ELEMENT OF NOSTALGIA REVOLVES AROUND THE TANTILISING SMELL OF FRESH CURRY LEAVES.
THIS HAS MADE ME REMEMBER MY MOTHER , YOUR GRANDMOTHER WHO WAS AN EXCELLENT COOK AND HER TOMATO RASAM WAS OUT OF THIS WORLD .HMMMMMMMMMM..................... THE SAME SMELL OF FRESH CURRY LEAVES .....................
Yes........ I know exactly what you are trying to say pa... excatly that!
DeleteI remember this :)
ReplyDeleteYou make me feel nostalgic about you and our friendship, our breakfast, our lunch...every moment we spend eating anu.
Memories as i read...they are beautiful.
Love
Thanks Sophuuu.... I miss u too loads :( and all our good memories at Kaplan :(
ReplyDelete